Get help paying rent during COVID-19
Allegheny County is partnering with the Pennsylvania Housing Finance Agency (PHFA) to jointly fund the CARES Rent Relief Program. CARES helps people experiencing job loss or loss of income as a result of the COVID-19 health crisis.
The deadline for submitting applications has been extended through November 4, 2020.
Who can apply?
- Renters who have experienced job loss or a reduction in annual income due to COVID-19
- Landlords who have lost rental income because a renter has experienced job loss or a reduction in income as a result of COVID-19
How do renter's qualify?
- Renter’s income may not exceed the Area Median Income for Allegheny CountyArea Median Income for Allegheny County (and adjusted for the number of people in the household).
- Renter must document at least a 30% reduction in income since March 1, 2020, due to COVID-19; OR
- Renter must have become unemployed, as verified by the PA Department of Labor and Industry, after March 1, 2020 as a result of COVID-19.
What assistance is provided?
- Up to $750/month per Lessee in state-funded rental assistance for up to nine months.
- Up to an additional $1250/month in County-funded rental per Lessee who receives state-funded rental assistance in Allegheny County-funded rental assistance to supplement the first six months of state-funded rental assistance.
- Up to $2000/month per household in County-funded rental assistance for applicants who do not qualify for state-funded rental assistance or for any rental assistance beyond six months for a maximum of nine months.
- Up to $500/month per household in County funding for gas, electric, and/or internet (water and sewer are not eligible). Additionally the $500/month allocation can pay for any monthly fees listed in the lease (i.e. late fee) and any gas, electric or internet late fees and any court costs.
- Payments will be made directly to utility companies and/or the landlord on behalf of the renter/lessee for a maximum of nine months of assistance between March and December 2020. [Note: This cap was recently increased from $200/month per household. Renters who already received $200 in funding but have additional eligible expenses can receive up to the new $500 limit retroactively.]
Important dates to remember:
July 6, 2020—November 4, 2020
Recipients of funding will receive it by
November 30, 2020
Funds can be used to pay rent from
March 1, 2020 to December, 2020