Get help paying rent during COVID-19
Allegheny County is partnering with the Pennsylvania Housing Finance Agency (PHFA) to jointly fund the CARES Rent Relief Program. CARES helps people experiencing job loss or loss of income as a result of the COVID-19 health crisis.
Applications can be submitted through September 30, 2020
Who can apply?
- Renters who have experienced job loss or a reduction in annual income due to COVID-19
- Landlords who have lost rental income because a renter has experienced job loss or a reduction in income as a result of COVID-19
How do renter's qualify?
- Renter’s income may not exceed the Area Median Income for Allegheny CountyArea Median Income for Allegheny County (and adjusted for the number of people in the household).
- Renter must document at least a 30% reduction in income since March 1, 2020, due to COVID-19; OR
- Renter must have become unemployed, as verified by the PA Department of Labor and Industry, after March 1, 2020 as a result of COVID-19.
What assistance is provided?
- Up to $750/month per household in state-funded rental assistance;
- Up to $750/month per household in Allegheny County-funded rental assistance
- Up to $200/month per household in County funding to cover additional household costs for gas, electric, and/or internet; late fees charged by the landlord and/or utility company; and/or court costs
- Payments will be made directly to the landlord and utility companies on behalf of the renter for a maximum of six months of assistance between March 1 and November 30, 2020 (may include December rent).
Important dates to remember:
July 6, 2020—September 30, 2020
Recipients of PHFA funding will receive it by
November 30, 2020
Funds can be used to pay rent from
March 1, 2020 to December, 2020